Grandpa David's Lamb Stew
December 15, 2015
Spicy, low fat, low carbohydrates
This is a spicy stew that is low-fat and low carbs. Requires 10 Qt. Crockpot, frying pan,1 pint measuring cup, sharp paring knife. Preparation time: 45 minutes.
- 3/4 cup Wild Rice
- 3 Red Bell Peppers
- 3 Green Bell Peppers
- 4 Large Jalapeno Peppers
- 1/2 lb Green Onions
- 3 Shallots (full size)
- 4 Carrots
- 1 Head Garlic (no, not a clove; a HEAD)
- 4 Tomatoes (large)
- 8 oz Organic Crimini Mushrooms
- 1 lb Lamb Steak (or Lamb Shank, less bone)
- 1-1/2 cup Syrah or GSM wine
- Grated Parmesan Cheese (as needed as topping)
- Garlic Oil
- Soak rice overnight with 2 cups of water. Pour off water and rinse twice in morning.
- Start cooker on low with 2 cups of water.
- Chop Bell peppers (removing seeds), Jalapenos (keeping seeds), Shallots, Carrots, Green onions and Tomatoes. Add to cooker.
- Chop garlic and save in a measuring cup.
- Add Italian seasoning, stir crockpot.
- Cut lamb into 1/2 oz slices, removing fat and ligament material.
- Sautee lamb in frying pan on high heat in garlic oil for 10 min, then pour off fat. After 10 min, add 1/2 of garlic, olive oil, and mushrooms for additional 10 minutes. Then add Lamb, mushrooms, and other half of garlic into crockpot. Add remaining garlic into crockpot.
- Stir, and cook on low overnight. Stir every few hours. (yes, overnight).
Serve with a topping of grated parmesan cheese. (15 servings.)
© 2015, David Retz. All Rights Reserved.